Monday, January 14, 2008

Sentences

I have been doing something we call scripting with Rhetta that involves writing down our dialog as it goes while we're doing floortime or while we're doing other things. Sometimes I use a notebook and pen and other times I use the dry erase board and a marker. I have been concentrating on the WH questions that Rhetta is only now starting to grasp a tiny bit. She's asking "where" questions from time to time. As much as I'd like to take credit I do believe she got the form of it from the movie A Bug's Life in which there's a line, "Where's the food?" because she uses the same charactor voice. Still, I'll take what I can get. It's communication.

She's a fine reader now, still slow to sound out many words but very determined. She will keep reading to the last and be proud of it.

Tie that into the scripting and what we have is a way of showing her how words are used to communicate verbally and hopefully the written ones will bridge that gap of understanding. It will also help her understand how the written word has meaning and an added bonus is learning sentence structure.

Guess how I know. Go on. It's too cool.

She's composing sentences with her magnetic letters! This one is, "I am to bed." She skipped "going" in there because she didn't have enough letters. This she realized immediately after using the o.

Maybe she'll be a writer someday.

Did I mention she's not quite 5?


1 comment:

*Jess* said...

That just floors me! She is so advanced when it comes to reading and drawing! The communication will come, I know it :)