Monday, January 21, 2008

Friends

I have some really wonderful friends, very few but they are so dear to my heart. Ampy, as you know, passed away in August but I'm going to count her because I still talk to her all the time. I'll run through them from the one I've known the longest to the one I've known the shortest.

Joleen: My oldest and dearest friend of 33 years. We met in kindergarten and became inseparable by the second grade. We have gone through thick and thin together, had rough times that tested our friendship but our bond survived stronger than ever. We have stood by each other against the worst adversaries, cried together in grief and giggled over coffee more times than we can count but not nearly enough times to satisfy our loneliness for each other. Nothing could tear us apart. I would catch a bullet for her.

Darhla: We also met in kindergarten and were close for so many years. We were in girl scouts together, went to each others' birthday parties and seemed to have an understanding that although our lives were often leading in opposite directions our friendship would stay solid, a trust you don't often find in people. We lost touch for many years but now that we are back in touch we're nurturing our relationship and getting to know each other in a whole new way yet it's still like we're sharing a seat on the school bus like old times, laughing and having fun.

Pattie: She moved to my neighborhood when we entered Junior High, so 26 years. She's a wild one and just as southern and sweet as can be. We partied a lot together. She represents a crazy time in my life. We are continuously surprised that our friendship survived all that mess. We're not terribly close now but we make a point to stay in touch. She will always say that she should have listened to me, that I was always right, and she's right. LOL

Judy: She's a good ol' gal from Kansas that I met through my dad when I went to visit him one year before I ever moved there. We would hang out for lunch sometimes or go out dancing and drinking. She's a real talker and so am I so we got to know each other rather quickly. She's true blue. You know what makes a good friend is someone who will stand by you no matter what and support your dicisions and stand up for you against all odds. That's her. We write letters all the time and I always make her something special around Christmas in an angel theme because she collects angels. She's my angel on Earth. I just love her to death, let's see, going on 20 years. We rarely see each other but when we do it's like old times.

Whit: I remember the first time I saw Whit I pointed to her and told my MIL, "That's the person I've been waiting to meet since we moved here." and she was. Sophie was not yet walking so it's been about 4 years, I think. We don't see each other nearly as often as we'd like. She's such an awesome person, I feel blessed to know her and call her friend. We understand and respect each other. I'd let her raise my kids.

Ampy: Dear Ampy. We didn't get to know each other for very long but her death tore a piece of my heart out that will never grow back. She was my neighbor for awhile when we first bought this house 5 years ago. I persisted in forging a friendship with her because I had a feeling, a feeling that it would be something we both needed. It wasn't easy. Ampy was a very private, very jaded person. She didn't like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Someone had to really prove themselves to her to be a true friend. When they moved away from our neighborhood I made her some promises. When she needed my help she called on me to keep those promises and I did. That's what won her over. After that we were able to open up to each other and share our secrets, our fears, our prejudices and our senses of humor. She was one of my best friends and I miss her so much.

Devon: Devon is Rhetta's occupational therapist but over the last three years she has become my mentor, my rock and my friend. She is so easy to communicate with. We share all kinds of ideas and opinions and have many things in common. If I believed in souls I'd say Devon's is a pure one. I hope this will be a lifelong friendship.

1 comment:

Jo said...

I love you Corey, thank you for being there for me and trying to understabd what this brain surgery has an effet on me. I love you guys and I will be up and at them soon. I have not forgotten you.
I see you also left out the "butt darwing session" we had one day walking home from Gil Sanchez??? roflmao xoxoxoxoxoxoxo, love, Joleen