Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Willon's Birth Story

It all started on...

Wednesday, January 17th ~

We were down to Home Depot that afternoon to get the parts and tools needed to fix a broken waterline. You think that would have been my first clue.

On the way home we decided to stop at the new chinese restaurant to have a birthday dinner for Rob a day late. I was able to comfortably eat three heaping plates full of food and would have gone back for more had we sat there any longer. That should have been my second clue.

Thursday, January 18th ~

1:30am: The alarm goes off and Rob heads into work early to make up for having to come home early to do the plumbing. I have enough trouble going to sleep so going back to sleep wasn't gonna happen. I saw him out the door then went back to bed to read my book.

3:06am: Yeesh! He's poking my cervix again. I swear he's got little horns. Ouch. Why am I peeing in the bed? Oh.

3:08am: I'm posting an "I think my water just broke" thread on APU with a towel stuck between my legs.

3:09am: I called Rob.

Funny, I was very calm considering I didn't have anything packed, Rob wasn't home and Rhetta was sound asleep. I just kept telling Willon to take his time, no need to rush. I called my OB and she told me to go on in. I had to wait for Rob to get home though, where the heck is he already?

I am a master at packing for an overnight so I busied myself doing that and emailing/calling family and friends in between changing all the necessary things you change when you're gushing out of your nether regions.

I was just thinking I might wake Rhetta up and get her ready to go when Rob pulled in the driveway. He had taken twice as long as usual. I had already warmed up my truck just in case he didn't make it home so I met him at the door, dutifully bit his head off, gave him a kiss, and drove myself to the hospital.

I never did go back to sleep.

Our hospital is brand spanking new. State of the art everything. Why then, after decades of progress in all other things, have they not been able to improve on hospital food? I ate my rubbery breakfast and walked the second floor with my book.

Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk... nothing, no contractions except what I'd already been feeling for a couple of months. Rats. All morning Rob and Rhetta were home fixing water pipes so that turned out to be the most peaceful time alone I'd had in 7 years of marriage. I wasn't complaining!

I walked until my lower back wouldn't let me walk anymore and decided to rest in bed. People had been calling throughout the morning. I was surprised and delighted when I answered the phone and it was Shellee on the other end! That really made me feel connected to APU. Shellee, you're a catalist for joy. Margaret stopped by on her way to work and Tish dropped in with a bag of goodies for Rhetta to help keep her occupied and distracted. My sister called, my dad called... ho hum. Not once did I turn on the TV. Bliss!

My contractions were progressing but slowly. I had walked as much as I could. I had soaked in the whirlpool, nothing. I agreed to Pitocin drip. Sorry, little dude!

By then Rob and Rhetta were there keeping me company. Rhetta enjoyed sitting on my bed and sipping water from my straw. She played with finger paints and read books. We ran her a bath and she was enamored by her reflection in the chrome fixtures. She really did well keeping herself busy, my girl! Rob brought her supper and we ate together, side by side. Then the contractions intensified enough that I needed some attention.

By the time they started the epidural Rhetta was really easy going. Daddy took her for a walk around the first floor and when they came back I was able to mask my discomfort so she stayed calm.I was worn out! I'd been up, by then, over 20 hours on 2 hours of sleep. We were all pooped, really. Daddy passed out in a chair and Rhetta and I crashed side by side on my bed. My last sleep with just my girl. Wahhh! I was 3cm.

We laid there for about an hour but my sleep was fitful. I never really relaxed completely and it was looking like everyone might sleep right through the birth leaving me on my own. But then a nurse came in and said, "Your sister is here from New Mexico."

Huh? Who? I don't have a sister in New Mexico. What? Who? Whit?

The room was dark, the only light coming from the open door and a dim light above my head. I turned to look, quite puzzled, when in walked an angel. It was my best friend from childhood, Joleen. She had come up as a surprise. She came into the light and her face was all blurry. I was gushing tears, blubbering really. I didn't know what to say! I looked at Rob and he was smiling. He knew, the turd. I had no idea but I have never been so happy to see anyone in all my life. I couldn't stop crying for like an hour. I was there 14 years ago when her son was born and here she was for the birth of mine. Just, wow.

Rob bundled Rhetta up in some bedding and got her settled on the recliner in my room. I had forgotten to bring even one of her blankets or a pillow but she was fast asleep and didn't seem to care. They kept telling me it was going to be awhile so Joleen and I visited like old friends do while Rob and Rhetta snoozed. She brought Lana, her almost 12 year old daughter, who has seen everything under the sun born except a human. I was a little worried she might not handle it well but I didn't say anything. Joleen knows best what Lana can handle. We laughed about people we know, asked about each other's families and caught up on hometown gossip. We were about to break out the playing cards for a round of canasta when my doctor came in and said to the nurse, "She's a soft 9. (9cm)", then to me, "Let us know when you feel like you want to push." and walked out again.

"Um, 'kay." I wasn't feeling like doing much of anything, really. I was ready for a long winter's nap! Push? Um, 'kay. I'll let ya know.

Around 10:00pm they came in and were getting things ready for my little one to arrive. We were joking with the nurses and talking about names. I said, His name is Willon Robert and he's going to be a lawyer. This brought much laughter. I said, No really! Then I told the story about the Wal-Mart greeter named Bob who thought Robert was the perfect name for a baby. I had said, Oh! His dad's name is Robert and his middle name is going to be Robert. He asked me what his first name would be. I said, Willon. He said and the last name? I told him R___ and he said, Willon Robert R___, he's going to be an attorney! More laughter. We were having fun.

I kept peeking at the clock and made a comment about how glad I was that he'd be born on the 18th because I have this thing about even numbers that are divisible by three. It's nothing I can explain, it's just one of those things. We talked about who all has their birthdays in January (there are a lot in our circle of family and friends) and that we were just filling in one of the blanks. The 18th! Yes!

Around about 10:40pm I decided I could start pushing. They had adjusted my drips so I'd feel the contractions enough for them to be helpful. And I started pushing. I pushed again, pushed some more, still pushing... After an hour I was seriously out of strength. I started to get anxious and nearly passed out once or twice. Rhetta started to wake up and was very disoriented, poor thing! Rob was holding her, Joleen was mopping my face and supporting my back. Just when I thought I couldn't go on, my hands found a new hold and out popped my brand new baby boy. Amid the cheers I took a quick look at him and said, What time is it?!

12:01am on the 19th.

No comments: