Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Daughter


My daughter. My first true love. She is the most frustrating, wonderful being to ever come along. I don't know how to cover the last 4 and a half years without neglecting my life for at least that long.


Everything about her is different. I LOVE that she's different! The way she acts, the way she thinks, the way she talks, the way she draws, the way she sees things in her mind, the way she hears, the way she learns, the way she loves, the way she plays, the way she sees herself, the way she listens, the way she doesn't listen, the way she likes to make her brother laugh. She's so busy all the time, even when she's doing nothing. Her mind is constantly whirling, cataloging, inventing, creating, studying, concentrating and imagining. I can't keep up but I keep trying. She is challenging in ways I never expected a child to be. She has really opened my eyes to how individual a person can be.


Rhetta has autism. I can't stop announcing that to the world, but it's not an apology. It's not an excuse. It's just a fact. It helps make her who she is. It helps me think outside the box, that's for sure.


Rhetta has autism and I'm glad. Otherwise she wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

I am so lucky to be your momma.

I love you, Rhetta.

More about Rhetta as it flows from my brain...

5 comments:

Karen Najarian said...

My Dear Corey: You are a writer!! And you have stuff to say that the world NEEDS to hear. You sense your world so acutely and you put it down so that we can sense our own lives more acutely. You are a gift to us poor souls wandering in confusion. You must think of publishing.

Love always, Aunt Karen

earthmama said...

what a beautiful post, corey. your love for rhetta makes the world a better place... (well, and willon, too...hehe and they certainly make it better, too)

thanks for sharing, mama

c said...

this literally brought tears to my eyes...i agree with your aunt...you have stuff to say that the world NEEDS to hear...


thanks so much for opening yourself up and letting us take a peek...

*Jess* said...

This made me cry. You are such an awesome mom, Corey. Like you told me (and I'll never forget), labels don't change the child. She is still your beautiful Rhetta.

corscorp said...

Aw! You guys are going to make ME cry. * sniffle *