Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ouray County Museum

Spent an awesome day last weekend at the Ouray County Museum (3 stories and 27 rooms, including a mine downstairs). None of us had ever been. It was more than impressive. I highly recommend it for anyone who loves antiques, history, collections, mystery, minerals, scavenger hunts, or just awesome artistic displays. I've decided, since I love pretty much every single thing I just mentioned, I am going to have to spend more time there in the future. Here is but a fraction of what we saw.

The museum stands beneath the beautiful geological folds of the Miocene Formation.

Photobucket

Some of the exhibits are outside.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Trust the boys to get sidetracked by deer grazing in someone's backyard.

Photobucket

The volunteer gave us a list of "I Spy" items we had to look for in each room along with a description of each item. The teen took charge of that, taking it very seriously as they were promised a prize for finding everything on the list. We started off on the Mercantile.

Photobucket

An Edison gramophone.

Photobucket

The surgery and some pharmaceuticals.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In this room we had to spy a bullet hole. We found it but I'm not giving it away!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Surgeon's office.

Photobucket

Dentist's office.

Photobucket

Lawyer's office.

Photobucket

Toys!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Native American exhibit.

Photobucket

Here then are some of my favorites... the sewing and the kitchen.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Uh... I am so glad I didn't go to public school in those days!

Photobucket

Gems and minerals.

Photobucket

Office for the mine.

Photobucket

Finally, the Mercy Mine - a virtual tour.



Everyone had a fantastic time and just to be fair everyone got a prize (their pick of rocks from an area mine)

Photobucket

Bye!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Looks like a great museum!! I'm definitely going there next time I visit! The kids would love it.

Allison said...

Looks like fun. I love the kitchen. And the # of lashes for each offense is funny.

Cool last pic too.

Sarah Beattie said...

It was great being able to take my sister back to Ouray. We lived there as children in the Beaumont in the early 1960's. Brought back fond memories for her. Many thanks to Mr. Paulson for taking the time to listen to her stories!